Turmeric, Coconut & Spinach Skillet Chicken
This simple one-pan meal is absolutely perfect for chilly weeknights.
500g Bird & Barrow Chicken Thigh Fillets
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
2 tsp finely grated ginger root
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup coconut cream
1 rounded tsp sugar
Salt & pepper to taste
250g frozen spinach, mostly thawed, squeezed of most liquid
Squeeze of lime or lemon juice
Olive oil as needed
- Heat a glug of oil in a sauté pan over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken thighs and brown for a couple of minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan, set the temperature to medium and add another glug of oil. Cook the onions until translucent and tender. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add the spices and sauté for a minute until fragrant.
- Stir through the stock, coconut cream and sugar. Bring to a boil, before reducing to a simmer for 8 minutes.
- Put the chicken thigh back in the pan and simmer for 15 minutes until cooked through. It can be helpful to use a lid here. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the frozen spinach and allow to heat through for 2–3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and squeeze some lemon or lime juice over the top.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice.