Garlic & Herb Butter Roast Chicken with Vine Tomatoes
This is such a tasty way to prepare a whole chicken. The garlic and herb butter infuses the skin and the meat with a really fantastic flavour. Serve with a crisp salad.
1 Bird & Barrow Free Range Chicken
100g room-temperature butter
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
½ tsp dried or 1 tsp fresh oregano leaves
Handful fresh parsley or coriander, finely diced
1 tsp salt
8–10 vine tomatoes
300g new potatoes, halved
2 courgettes, cut into bite-sized pieces
Handful fresh thyme (additional)
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Place the butter in a bowl along with the garlic, lemon zest, herbs and salt. Use a fork to mash together and mix well until all ingredients are incorporated evenly.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Rub the herb butter all over the chicken. Lift the skin around the cavity and gently to push butter right up under the breast skin.
- Drizzle the potatoes and tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place around the chicken on an oven-proof tray. Scatter the fresh thyme on top.
- Roast for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Drizzle the courgette pieces with olive oil and add to the tray. Roast for around 20 minutes more or until the chicken is well-browned and the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving and carving.