Smoky BBQ Chicken Breast with Mediterranean Vegetables & Garlic Yoghurt
Brining is an incredibly simple process that will ensure your chicken breast is incredibly moist and wonderful tasty when cooked on the bbq. It’s the little secret that completely transforms this cut of meat.
450g Bird & Barrow Chicken Breasts
½ tsp smoked paprika (or more as desired)
1 medium eggplant, sliced in 2cm rounds
2 medium courgettes, cut into strips
1 red capsicum, flesh cut into big chunks
Handful cherry tomatoes, halved
Olive oil for brushing on vegetables and meat
Handful fresh basil to garnish
Garlic Yoghurt Sauce
1 cup Greek style yoghurt
2 tbsp finely chopped chives
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
Zest of 1 lime (or lemon)
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
4 cups water
¼ cup salt
- Create the brining liquid by mixing together the water and salt in a large bowl or container. Submerge the chicken breast and leave to soak for a minimum of 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
- Pat dry with a paper towels, sprinkle with the smoked paprika and some cracked black pepper. Brush liberally with olive oil.
- Brush all the vegetables (except cherry tomatoes) generously with olive oil and sprinkle the eggplant with salt.
- Mix together the garlic yoghurt ingredients.
- Heat your bbq until a med-high temp. Place the chicken breast and vegetables on the grill plate. Cook the chicken for 5 minutes (with the lid down) until you have good sear marks on each side. Reduce the temperature and cook for roughly 10 more minutes (more or less, depending on the thickness of the chicken) until the chicken is cooked through. A meat thermometer should read 75°C in the thickest part of the meat.
- Cook the courgette and capsicum until just tender and the eggplant until very soft.
- Let the chicken sit for 5 minutes (cover lightly with tinfoil) before cutting into thick slices against the grain. Cut the vegetables into smaller chunks.
- Spread your large plate or platter with the garlic yoghurt. Top with the bbq vegetables and the cherry tomatoes. Finish with the chicken slices and a garnish of fresh herbs.