Panko & Spice Crumbed Schnitzel Strips with Lime Mayo
Serves 4–6 as a snack
The light spice and crunchy coating makes this a pretty irresistible snack. Perfect served as a snack to enjoy with drinks or as part of a shared meal. Kids will love these too.
1 tray Bird & Barrow Free Range Skinless Chicken Breast
1 cup flour
1 rounded tsp Cajun spice powder
2 free range eggs, lightly whisked
3 cups panko breadcrumbs
Olive oil for frying
½ cup good quality mayonnaise
Zest of 2 limes
Juice of 1 lime
Flaky sea salt and cracked black pepper to garnish
- Cut each chicken breast through the top into 1cm pieces lengthways and then each slice in half lengthways. This should leave you with the chicken in long thin pieces.
- Combine the Cajun spice powder and the flour in a wide, shallow bowl. Mix well.
- Place the eggs in another bowl and the breadcrumbs in a third bowl. Line them up next to each other in that order as this is how you’ll be dipping the chicken.
- Coat each piece of chicken in the spiced flour, dunk into the eggs and then roll in breadcrumbs. Place on a plate while you repeat the process with the rest of the chicken.
- Heat 1 cm of oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat. Make sure the oil is hot before adding the chicken. Cook in 2–3 batches (without over crowding the pan) for approximately 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Combine the mayonnaise, lime zest and lime juice in a bowl. Season with a little sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Serve the chicken while hot with the lime mayo on the side.