Dairy Free Butter Chicken with Cauliflower Rice
Making this well-loved favourite at home from scratch can be quick, easy and absolutely delicious. The recipe is packed with warm spices but doesn’t have any chilli included (though feel free to add it!) so is perfect for the whole family.
800g Bird & Barrow Chicken Thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 brown onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 tbsp finely grated ginger
1 tsp each ground cumin, garam masala, ground coriander, turmeric, smoked paprika
½ tsp ground cardamom
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
400g chopped tomatoes
400g full-fat coconut cream
Juice of half a lemon
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
1 medium cauliflower
Olive oil for sautéing
- Heat a generous glug of oil over a medium heat in a large sauté pan. Cook the onion, garlic and ginger gently until the onion is translucent. Add all the spices and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add additional oil if the pan is too dry.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, moving regularly.
- Add the tomatoes and coconut cream. Simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened a bit (it will thicken more as it cools) and the chicken is cooked through. Add the lemon juice in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Taste and season generously with sea salt.
- While the chicken is simmering, use a food processer to blitz the cauliflower into small rice-sized pieces. Heat a glug of olive oil in a sauté pan over a high heat. Sauté the cauliflower for 5 minutes until tender but not mushy. You made need to do this in 2 batches depending on the size of your pan. Season well.
- Leftover curry can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.