Crunchy Japanese Chicken Burgers
2 Bird & Barrow Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp finely grated ginger
1 tsp lemon juice
1 spring onion, finely sliced
1 cup plain flour
2 free range eggs, lightly whisked
3 cups panko breadcrumbs
¼ red cabbage, thinly shredded
¼ green cabbage, thinly shredded
½ cup Japanese mayo
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp lemon juice for the salad dressing
To serve: Additional Japanese mayo for the bun, sliced avocado, brioche sesame buns
- Cut each chicken breast in half and place between two pieces of baking paper. Use a rolling pin or meat mallet to flatten slightly.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, lemon juice and spring onion. Place in a bowl along with the chicken and leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Drain the marinade and toss the chicken in the flour. Dunk completely in the egg and then coat well in the panko crumbs.
- Lay on a lined oven proof baking sheet. Spray with some olive oil. Cook for approximately 20 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Toss the shredded cabbage with the sesame oil and the lemon juice.
- Toast the brioche buns. Spread one half with Japanese mayonnaise. Top with a piece of the cooked chicken, a big helping of slaw and some avocado slices.