Chicken Tenderloins with Autumn Barley Salad
This hearty grain salad is the perfect partner to juicy chicken tenderloins. A great salad for feeding a group and any leftovers make a wonderful packed lunch.
1 tray Bird & Barrow Free Range Tenderloins
¾ cup pearl barley
2 ½ cups vegetable stock
¼ crown pumpkin, cut into 2cm slices
To serve: Additional fresh herbs
- Place the barley and stock into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil before cooking with a lid slightly ajar for approximately 30 minutes until tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Spread cooked barley on a plate and place in the fridge to cool completely before assembling the salad.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Drizzle the pumpkin pieces generously with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven to roast for 30 minutes until tender and browned.
- Toss the apple slices with the lemon juice to prevent browning and set aside until ready to use.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked barley, herbs and 2/3 of the dressing. Mix well. Taste and season generously. Toss through the radish and apple slices.
- Heat a glug of olive oil over a medium high heat. Season the chicken tenderloins with salt and pepper and cook for 6–8 minutes until the chicken is browned and cooked all the way through.
- Place the barley salad on a large platter with the pumpkin wedges on top. Top with the cooked chicken. Scatter parmesan and almonds on top. Drizzle with reserved dressing if desired and sprinkle with additional herbs.