Brussel Sprout, Kale & Chicken Tenderloin Caesar Salad with Smoky Rye Croutons
500g Bird & Barrow Chicken Tenderloins
3 thick slices rye sourdough bread
1 tsp smoked paprika
Generous pinch cayenne pepper
500g brussel sprouts
6 leaves kale, stems removed and very finely sliced
6 free range eggs
1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese for sprinkling
Sea salt & cracked pepper
Olive oil for roasting and sauteing
Traditional Caesar Dressing
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup mayo
½ cup finely grated parmesan
Cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Tear the bread into rough chunks. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with paprika, cayenne pepper and a generous seasoning of sea salt and cracked black pepper. Bake for 25 minutes until browned and crunchy. Can be made up to 4 hours in advance. If storing, allow to cool completely before placing in an airtight container in the pantry.
- Combine the anchovies and garlic in a mortar and pestle. Pound until a smooth paste. Add the remaining ingredients, mix really well and add cracked black pepper to taste.
- Use a mandoline to finely shave the brussel sprouts. Be careful of your fingers! Thinly shred the kale. Combine with the dressing and mix well. It’s ideal to let the dressing soften the salad for 10 minutes.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over a high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Drizzle a little oil in the pan and cook chicken for 2–3 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Carefully drop the eggs into this. Cook for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat, run under cold water and peel carefully. Cut in half.
- Divide the salad between 4 plates. Top with the eggs, chicken, croutons and extra grated parmesan. Serve immediately.