Asparagus, Lemon Chicken Pasta
2 Bird & Barrow Chicken Breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves, finely diced
350g dried penne
500g asparagus, trimmed off woody end
¾ cup cream
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Olive oil for sautéing
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat a generous glug of oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until the onion is tender.
- Season the chicken pieces and cook in 2 batches until no longer pink in the middle. Try not to overcook. Return all the chicken to the pan along with the lemon zest.
- Meanwhile, add the pasta to a large pot of boiling water. Cook until tender. Don’t overcook or the pasta will fall apart as you toss it with the other ingredients.
- Cut the asparagus in half so you have shorter pieces and add to the pasta pot in the last minute of cooking. Drain well and add to the pan with the chicken. Add the cream and toss well. Cook for a minute or so until hot.
- Remove from the heat, add the parmesan and season to taste. Serve immediately with a scattering of fresh parsley if you like.